Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Arrivée en suisse!!

So here I am, with a day off, sitting in the living room uploading some photos!!  I really didn't have much of a chance to write anything yet, so I'll start from the beginning, trying to be kind of concise...


Last Wednesday I got on the plane after checking in 4 bags of luggage and everything seemed great.  I was sitting in a middle row with 3 other really nice young people.  One was a russian speaking girl, another a guy going to Afghanistan to visit his family, and another going to study writing in a small town in England.  Not gonna lie, when the kid told me he was going to Afghanistan I was taken back a little bit - but still, good for him for being able to share that and not hold back.  So we get out on the runway, and then they shut the plane down.  Literally, off.  Turned out, because of storms in the area, about 100 planes had been taxied out and only 20 had taken off.  And if there was a storm over us we weren't going anywhere.  So about 20 minutes later we finally get going, so it wasn't too bad.  But then the climb up was so slow and gradual that I swear, even when we were over Greenland I felt like we were only 50 feet off the ground or something...  Anyways, a nice flight, two good movies, and about 30 min of sleep later, we arrive in Amsterdam.  Everything was good, I had 2.5 hours layover, but I did have to check in for my connecting flight.  I found the right kiosk and tried the self-service.  No luck.  I tried a different method of checking in, like it told me.  No luck again.  I ask a lady to help - she does it, again, no luck.  So she says come back in 30 min.  So I go to the bathroom and freshen up a bit, wash my face, brush my teeth... all of which is necessary on long travels.  Then I return, and again, no luck.  So then I have to take a number and wait in line.  I wait about 45 min, then the lady who was checking me in was so slow, and then seriously almost wouldn't let me check in because I didn't have a receipt for my luggage.  OK, so I forgot to ask for one when I didn't get one.  Let's be honest lady, other things were on my mind.  So after she calls someone over to help, she spends literally a half an hour playing around on their computer, then tells me yeah it's ok, however "you should really get receipts!!!  when I buy a shirt i always ask for a receipt!!!  let it be a lesson to you!!!"  I say "yes, definitely!" and I'm really thinking YEAH YEAH ok I get it, lesson learned.  Thanks for the lesson.  I have to go.  So I run through the terminal, wait in line for passport checks, then the security line is clogged, then I get through, run to my gate, grab a bottle of water on the way, and literally had 5 min before boarding.  But, I made it, the flight was wonderful, and after receiving no help from anyone in the Milan airport - from Americans - when asking if they could help me wheel out my 4 suitcases, I finally managed to push my way past the 3 security guards who were laughing at me saying "did you bring your whole house?!" thinking I couldn't understand Italian... and THEN... Iacopo was there and we drove home!!!


OK that wasn't concise at all.  But it's a good story.  Anyways, since then Iacopo and I have spent a ton of time cleaning (a LOT of time cleaning!!!!!!), I swear this lady moved in during the 70s and hasn't cleaned since...  but, it's looking great now (aside from the strange decor and personal items we have to keep moving into a pile in the corner downstairs hahaha...) and I can't wait to have our first dinner party tonight!!!  Francesco and Giovanna are coming over after work and they are bringing some delicious Italian pasta!!  I had actually gone into work yesterday, but since my work permit is being reviewed next week they asked that I only come in to help Francesco with a presentation and otherwise just spend some time getting settled and finding a french language course to attend.  So, I actually have to leave to do that right now, so I will quickly upload some photos for you to enjoy!!  They are also on Facebook - and there are a lot more there as well!


http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2461636&id=16906574&l=0ca913b315


running with the sheep
vineyard by our house
mont blanc - the highest peak in europe - it's actually at the border of france and italy, and you can see it all the way over here at the northern border of switzerland and france
fountain in collex


go to facebook for more photos!


http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2461636&id=16906574&l=0ca913b315



1 comment:

  1. Hey Kristi! Sounds like a crazy adventure! Hope that you are enjoying your time while they review your visa, and that the house is finally clean. I hope to come out, if even for a quick trip to say hi, sometime early next year while tickets are still cheap. Say hi to Iacopo!

    Oh - and great blog. I can actually follow it at work without the facebook police around! : )

    ReplyDelete